Monday, September 11, 2017

I Disapprove of What You Say, But...



I try to be no more than a "participant observer" of HK politics (I mean, I can't vote after all), but that ended on Saturday. A post on the International Students Association Facebook page invited students to join a protest against the university's student union. Normally I would see no problem with this. I could only care a little less about CUSU, since (#1) I am a grad student and (#2) student unions are kind of useless. Still, if the international students feel underrepresented, then fine, protest away! 

The problem was that this whole thing was engineered by Mainland students in response to CUSU's display of HK independence propaganda on Benjamin Franklin square (which it manages). So I felt I had to make a point that any international students who joined the protest were really becoming photo ops for one side of a debate which they probably had no business being a part of. Sure, I suppose a foreigner could, in theory, strongly believe in fighting against HK independence, but more likely than not the poster was either a paid agent or a young lad trying to impress some girl from Guangzhou (ten years ago I'd probably have done the same thing).

Look, HK independence is a goal of some young idealists that has no hope of ever happening, and yes, it has caused some prejudice against Putonghua speakers (which the Mainland media loves pointing out). But even if the Basic Law somehow prohibits talking about foolhardy initiates like Xiang Gang Du Li (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), such a thing ought be protected by freedom of expression. While I realize Hong is Hong Kong (and yes, part of China. Sort of.), similar movements like those in the U.S. in response to Herr Shitgibbon's presidency are apt examples for what this kind of freedom should look like. The South rightfully lost and secession is illegal, but talking about making California its own country is not a crime.

So when I read things like this statement from the CUHK Vice-Chancellor, I see the veiled threat of prosecuting thought-crime:

"The idea of an independent Hong Kong is not only in breach of the Basic Law of Hong Kong but also contrary to what I personally believe. Hong Kong is an inalienable part of China; this is beyond dispute.

When discussing and debating political issues, our students should always do so peacefully and rationally, and conduct the discussion or debate in a respectful and patient manner."


CUSU probably should not have made such a hard-line statement that maybe, just maybe, many of those they are meant to represent disagreed with. My impression is that most Hong Kongers want to retain their special freedoms, but dismiss the idea of independence. So its fine if many students felt misrepresented and wanted to complain. However, taking part in a counter-protest, which is really a disguised attempt at silencing an unpopular opinion, is even more fraught than CUSU's provocations. They may have overstepped, but they are a minority whose thoughts and feelings out to be respected and allowed expression. While equally-valid, the hurt feelings of Mainland Chinese can become a tool of repression, especially if non-locals like me let themselves get played.

No comments:

Post a Comment