Friday, November 20, 2009

Obama Doesn't Use Twitter Either. I Rest My Case.

My President came to China this past week.  It was was a much-anticipated visit.  Most Chinese seem to like Obama, even if he slaps tariffs on their tires.  He came to Shanghai and spoke to a group of "priveleged" Chinese students (a.k.a the ones allowed to go to a prestigious Chinese school).  Nothing revolutionary was said--the students' questions were obviously handpicked by officials--but nothing was censored over the internets or the limited TV coverage it received. Anyone with a computer and connection could hear his well-reasoned remarks on internet freedom and Taiwan--yes, the times are a' changin'.

I decided to use Obama's visit in class.  I asked my students to pretend that they were the "priveleged" and to draft questions for the President.  Of course I got to be the President.  As expected (and to my delight) there were some pointed questions about US-China tensions and Taiwan.  I did my best to channel Obama, saying again and again that the US did not seek to undermine Chinese growth (and with a straight face) and was committed to the "One-China" policy; It was very hard to explain that even though we did not consider Taiwan independent, it was still regarded a distinct autonomous province...if that makes any sense whatsoever.  

Me: "So...um...basically their are two systems for one China and...er....."

Student: "But Peter, why then does the US give Taiwan weapons?"   

Me: "So...uh...your system doesn't invade their system, silly!"  Sigh....

I wouldn't regard it as one of my successes.  I talked way too much and didn't always allow time for follow-up questions (as if there would be any...) an I'm afraid I may have come across as condescending sometimes.  I don't like doing most of the talking, but they rarely leave me any other choice in these discussions.  Frankly I don't think I did that great a job explaining the US perspective any better than the Chinese media would.  If war breaks out due to my bad ambassadorial skills, please forgive me world.

Oh and might as well while I'm at it: FREE TIBET!  (With purchase of another Tibet of equal or greater value).

Leb Wohl

No comments:

Post a Comment