Sunday, December 20, 2009

Odd Habits of the Chinese Collegiate, Part I

Over the semester I have begun to notice several unique trends and habits that my students have, so I thought I should start documenting them:

1.  Wearing only the frames of eyeglasses.  Apparently glass-less glasses are "in" amongst the Chinese hip.  I find spectacles make one look very distinguished, so I normally wouldn't be flabbergasted if so many of them didn't wear contacts at the same time.  If you dig the nerdy look, then why the dickens couldn't you just leave the lenses in and spare yourself the hassle of sticking a piece of plastic to your cornea?

2.  Bringing up the year 2012 in every single assignment or activity.  Chinese students are very impressionable.  Or they may just have really bad taste in movies.  Either way we should probably stop exporting entertainment based on pseudo-science and pseudo-myth over here.

More to come!
Leb Wohl

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, so I can't fix a typo without blogspot calling attention to it. Good to know >.<

    Anyway, I have at times almost wished for bad eyes, simply so I could use glasses to make myself slightly older. But the whole point of them would be that they would actually look like glasses and not an accessory ... wtf?

    ReplyDelete